Saturday, February 6, 2010

Why I am doing this...

For the most part, I have been avoiding ever starting a blog. I don't even make posts on the family blog that my wife started so people could stay updated on us. She has asked me to, and I have always found a way out of it. This may seem odd to some, since I am claiming to be a writer. Wouldn't I want to take any opportunity to write and declare my inner most feelings?

The answer is an astounding, no.

I have always felt that it takes a certain amount of presumption to feel like you can write something that people would want to read. I guess I never considered that people would want to know what I was thinking, or take the time to actually read it if I wrote it down.

"But Rich, aren't you writing a book? Isn't that the point? Aren't you trying to write somethings that people will want to read?"

"Why yes, I suppose I am. But this is different."

My book is about other people in other places. While there are things in it that are deeply personal to me, they are masked with magic and mystery, shrouded in suspense, and accented with adventure. In other words, bearing my soul through an adventure fantasy for young boys is a lot different than bearing my soul on the internet without anything to hide behind.

The truth is, well... I lack confidence. I am doing this to try and change that.

There are other reasons, but I will leave that for another day.

3 comments:

The Mackay's said...

this is a test.

Shawn said...

Richard, I'm interested in what you have to say! I look up to you! I hope you find what you are looking for in this venture. Here's to many more future posts! (I'm raising an imaginary glass filled with root beer)

Margo said...

ok...after much tribulation with technology...i finally got on. I VERY much want to read what you have to write. I click my imaginary glass of rootbeer with Shawn.