Saturday, February 13, 2010

More Reasons and Updates

At the end of my last post, I mentioned that there were multiple reasons that I am starting this blog. One of the reasons has to do with a quote I read by President Thomas S. Monson. He said, "When performance is measured, performance improves. When performance is measured and reported, the rate of improvement accelerates." Now, he was not talking specifically about writing, but I think that the priciple applies.

I have been looking for a way to better motivate myself to write and on better schedual. I havce given myself deadline and peptalks in my head, but I seem to need a little more. I realized that I needed accountability. So, at least in part, I started this blog to report on what I have written and how far I am in my writing. I know that there are not a lot of people reading it, but I now have all of you to report to. I plan on making one entry everytime that I write. No writing, no entries. In other words, it will become very easy for you to know when I am writing and when I am not. When I hit a major milestone in my book (most likely chapter endings) I will post the current stats on the book.

And without further adue:

The Chromatic Wars
Chapters: 8/28 (planned so far)
Pages: 79
Word Count: 23,789

5 comments:

Brett said...

Rich, I think you are truly inspired (and inspiring, by the way...). This is really a great idea, and the truth is, you're not the only one benefiting from this. We're the really lucky ones in this arrangement.

Anyway, I was wondering. Are you going to just write the book all in order? Because I remember you saying you had the whole ending scene written in your head already--you knew what it looked like, what it felt like, what was going to happen, the things that would be said...

I know you have the first 8 chapters written, but will you ever skip to the end, and jump back and forth as you have scenes in your head you know you can write? Or are you going to stick to telling the story in chronological order?

Shawn said...

I hope this is motivation you need and that it helps you to meet your goals. Good luck!

Rich Mackay said...

Thanks for the support you guys. And Brett, while I do have the ending already worked out, I also have every other chapter in the book worked out in its entirety (except oddly enough, chapter 9, which I am writing right now). I tried writing out of order once, but I just couldn't do it. While I do have the plot worked out all the way through, I don't have my characters worked out in the same way. I free write them, meaning that I get to know them as I write them. Since I am not sure how things are going to be between all of the characters involved yet, I am not sure that I can write out of order anyway (that is why it didn't work the first time.)

Juliesh said...

Hooray I say to this blog! I've been waiting for your story for a LONG time!

I'm putting this blog on my favorites. That means I'm going to be checking for updates (no pressure, well, maybe a little if you want it!) Write more! Write more!

I heard an interview of a man with MS. He described the daily pain he endures. However, he felt being in that "state of daily survival" was a gift from God that allowed him to channel his creativity like no other experience. It gave me something to ponder.

Your story is longing to be heard. I noticed you haven't blogged for awhile. Don't leave me out in the dark too long...

Kate Macakes said...

hey, you've done some work. when are you going to post?